In the late 1700s, King Kamehameha the Great used this area as a training ground for the planned invasion of Kauai.
On November 11, 1922, the "Hawaiian Divisional Air Service Flying Field" was renamed Wheeler Field after, Major Sheldon Harley Wheeler, former Commander of Luke Field on Ford Island, died in a plane crash on July 13, 1921.
From 1924 - 1929 the area where our school is currently located was Schofield High and Grammar School. Then named Leilehua High School until they moved to their current location in Wahaiwa.
On December 7, 1941, 25 Japanese bombers attacked Wheeler, there were 33 who lost their lives and many more injured. Wheeler's air fleet, lost 76 aircraft during that raid.
In 1960, we became Wheeler Elementary School under the leadership of Principal Ernest Spillner. In 1972, a fire destroyed building 284, our auditorium. Since that time several newer buildings have been added.
For More information on the history of Wheeler Aviation:
Our Wheeler Middle School wrote a great article featuring the biography of Major Sheldon Wheeler